1) To establish a collaboration of North American HIV/AIDS cohorts and a data center for compilation of data to address HIV/AIDS research questions that cannot be accomplished through smaller cohorts.
2) To address scientific aims that focus on the failure of highly-active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), with a special focus on multi-drug resistant virus and its consequences and management.
3) To address additional scientific aims related to events that cannot be as well-studied in smaller cohorts (for example, those that require large sample sizes, such as rare events from new HIV therapies, or those that require long-term follow-up, such as malignancy), and emerging issues in HIV clinical care such as the impact of aging on HIV treatment response.
4) To develop and apply novel statistical and epidemiological methodology that is applicable to these scientific research initiatives.
5) To collaborate with other regional cohorts in IeDEA to compare results and address questions of inter-regional importance.